Nobody wants to swim in a dirty pool.
Whether it’s stagnant water, debris, algae, dirt or any other particles – you’d want to get rid of them before you dive into the water, wouldn’t you?
If you’re on a budget and don’t want to spend an arm and a leg on expensive pool pumps, pool sand filters are a godsend.
Below is a buyer’s guide to help you choose the best pool sand filter for your situation, and product reviews of our top 7 picks for the best sand filters for your pool.
For people buying a sand filter for their pool for the first time or are looking for a replacement, we know it’s a hard decision to make.
Worry not, we’ve got you covered with our buyer’s guide.
Below are the particular factors you should keep in mind before making a purchase.
This should help you choose the perfect pool sand filter to make your pool better than ever.
Gallons Per Hour
Figure out the number of hours you want to run your pump and the total volume of water in your pool.
Calculate the gallons per hour and buy a filter capable of delivering that GPH.
You need a minimum of one square foot of filter area for every 10,000 gallons of water in your pool.
It’s preferable to have a larger filter than required.
You might want to go up a size from your manufacturer’s recommendation for more efficient performance.
A sand filter is cheaper than a Cartridge Pump or a DE filter with a lower purchase price and no maintenance except for sand replacement after 5-7 years.
However, you’ll still want to save money and get a pool sand filter that is both economical and highly efficient.
For this, you should compare prices online and read reviews before making your decision.
Best Pool Sand Filter Reviews
Now that you know what to look for in a sand filter pump for your pool, we have for you the top 7 best pool sand filters you can find on the market with their strengths and shortcomings.
This will hopefully give you a full picture of each product before you choose the perfect one for yourself.
1. Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
- Keep your above ground pool water clean, soft, and refreshing with the Krystal Clear Sand Filter...
- The built in 24-hour timer adds to the hassle-free experience with maintaining a cleaner pool. The...
- The Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump generates a pump flow rate of 3,000 gallons per hour, ideal for...
- Pump Flow Rate: 3,000 gph (11.3 m3/hr). System Flow Rate: 2,450 gph (9.2 m3/hr)
- Includes: 6-way Valve. Pressure Gauge. Heavy Duty Tank. Strainer Basket. Built-in Timer
With a pump flow rate of 3000 gallons per hour and a system flow rate of 2450 gallons per hour, the Intex Krystal clear sand filter pump is a perfect choice for your pool.
Its six functions include backwashing, filtration, recirculation, draining and close system making your pool water glisten like glass and your swimming time clean and comfortable.
You also don’t have the daily worry of cleaning your pool as the digital timer automatically activates the pump every day.
It comes with a 25ft power cord with a built-in GFCI.
The sand filter pump also includes One Hydro Aeration technology with inlet fitting.
It has a sand capacity of 120lb and comes with a strainer basket so you can pre-filter.
Finally, the 0.75 hp pump motor and pressure gauge make it innovative as you can monitor water pressure for backwashing.
- Improved filtration and circulation
- Increased clarity of the water
- Easy to install
- The timer has to be manually set every time before use
2. Blue Wave Dredger Jr. 350 GPH Above Ground Pool Winter Cover Pump
- Pumps up to 350 gallons per hour; Manual on/off
- Fully submersible
- Includes reusable foam inlet filter and a stabilizing base platform
- Removes water to within 1/8-inch deep
- Includes garden hose adapter and 25-foot power cord
Removing standing water from your pool, spa, basement or boat can now become more comfortable with the Blue Wave Dredger Jr.
This little pool pump is 100% submersible and is powerful enough to pump up to 350 gallons per hour.
It has a manual on/off button, and it can remove water from 1/8-inch deep.
It comes with a garden hose adopter and a 25-foot power cord.
The foam inlet filter is reusable while the stabilizing base platform is a feature that increases this product’s worth.
If you’re looking for a pool sand filter that’s small in size but works equally fine, then this can be your go-to for sure.
- 1-year warranty
- Compact and light-weight
- Material is not durable
- Not well made
- Flimsy housing
3. Hayward S144T ProSeries Sand Filter
- High-performance top-mount sand filter for above-ground pools, small in-ground pools, and aquariums
- Durable, corrosion-proof filter tank molded of color-fast material for long-lasting, all-weather...
- Large pressure sand/water drain for rapid winterizing or servicing; 7-position vari-flo valve...
- Flange clamp design allows 360-degree rotation for easy installation
- Integral top diffuser ensures even distribution of water over the entire sand bed for maximum use of...
Hayward S144T is amongst the best pool sand filters available on the market today.
This filter can be used for above ground pools, aquariums, and small in-ground pools.
It has a precision-designed umbrella fold self-cleaning system which makes sure that the water flow is efficient and equally distributed.
This provides users with balanced backwashing and extends the useful life of the filter.
It has a 7-position VariFlo valve which will give you the maximum flow even if pressure drops to low.
This filter will bless you with clear, sparkling water for years.
- So saves energy
- Corrosion-free housing
- Can perform in all weathers
- Made from thin plastic
- Reported leakages from fittings
4. Hayward S220T ProSeries Sand Filter
- Flange clamp design allows 360-Degree rotation of valve to simplify plumbing
- Integral top diffuser ensures even distribution of water over the top of the sand media bed
- Full-size internal piping provides smooth, free-flowing performance
- Unitized, corrosion-proof filter tank molded of rugged, colorfast reinforced thermoplastic for...
- 7 position Hayward Vari-Flo control valve with easy-to-use lever-action handle lets you dial any of...
Get a crystal clear pool effortlessly through purchasing this amazing pool filter.
The valve rotates 360 degrees and makes plumbing simple and easy.
It has a diffuser on top which distributes water evenly, and a corrosion-proof filter tank made up of rugged, colorfast reinforced thermoplastic.
The durable build makes sure it can perform equally well in all weather and lasts a long time.
The internal piping is hefty enough to ensure the free-flow of water.
Hayward suggests that this pump be installed by a licensed pool professional.
It has balanced backwashing and does not require regular maintenance.
- Superior water flow
- Backwashing is easy and quick
- Poor customer service
- Reported leakages
5. Intex Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System with E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation) for Above Ground Pools, 110-120V with GFCI
- Designed for use with above ground pools from 2,600 to 8,500 gallon capacity
- 110-120V with GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter)
- 14 and No.34; Tank diameter; 0.5 hp motor; Pump flow rate 1,600 gph. System flow rate 1,500 gph
- Chlorine output: 7 g/hr. 2 pieces of 1.5 and no.34; (38Mm) hoses
- 2-Year warranty
This pool pump is best for above ground pools with a 2600 to 8500-gallon capacity.
The pump flow rate is 1600 gallons per hour while the system flow rate is 1500 gallons per hour.
It has a 7 grams per hour chlorine output and 110-120V voltage.
It also has a strong 0.5 hp motor allowing fast cleaning in little time.
The 2-year warranty makes it an ideal machine, and the inexpensive, natural sand does an incredible job in sparkling up your pool water.
With easy maintenance and the rare need to change your filters once in five years, the Intex Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Sand Filter Pump makes a very convenient option.
It has a low price, comes with a 24-hour automatic timer, and does an excellent job of keeping your pool safe and clean.
- Low cost
- 2-year warranty
- Timer with little maintenance required
- The hose adapters are not very efficient
6. Sand Master Soft Sided Above Ground Pool Sand Filter System
- Suitable for pools up to 9,600 gallons
- Features a powerful 20 GPM 115V pump, 4 position multiport valve, and system base
- 12 in. corrosion proof filter tank holds 42 lbs. of sand
- 1 year warranty
Just like its name, this sand filter is a master in cleaning and clearing your pools from dozens of particles and impurities.
It can clean up to 9600 gallons of water and with its mighty 20 GPM 115V pump, you won’t need to worry if it’s efficient enough to get the job done.
It has a 4-position multi-port valve and a system base.
The tank is corrosion-free and durable holding up to 42 lbs of sand which won’t need to be replaced for 5 years or so.
All the fittings come with the filter, so no need for any other purchases.
Get a clean and glistening pool with this fantastic sand filter and make your life easier!
- Easy to install
- 1-year warranty
- Corrosion proof tank
- Pressure gauge leaks
7. Summer Waves SkimmerPlus SFX1500167 1500 Gallon Above Ground Pool Filter Pump
- Water pump to keep your pool clean all season long
- Combines the functions of a skimmer and filter pump in one unit
- Attaches to sidewalls of pool for easy maintenance and to prevent tripping
- Generous water flow capacity
- Compatible with most above ground pools
This pump can keep your pool clean throughout the year by skimming and filtering water simultaneously.
The skimmer removes debris and deposits it into the strainer while the filter takes care of the purification of the water.
It has a vast water capacity and is suitable for almost all above the ground pools.
Swimming can now be more refreshing and fun with this incredible filter attached to the sidewall of your pool.
- Sidewall attachment prevents tripping
- Shutoffs with no reason have been reported
Sand filters are the kidneys of your pools.
You might kill bacteria and contaminants with chlorine or other sanitizers, but without a proper filtration system, you won’t be able to remove them fully.
We hope that our product reviews will help you choose the ideal sand filter for your pool allowing you to enjoy swims in fresh, clear and clean water keeping you healthy and fit.