Stagnant water, whether it be from melted snow or the accumulation of rainwater, is a pain when you’re wanting to take a dip in the pool or relax in the hot tub.
Having to clear debris and various contaminants from stagnant water can be a great annoyance if you have to do it manually.
Because of this, using a pool pump to do the hard work for you will make your life so much easier.
In order to ensure that you get all of the leaves and debris out of your pool, you need the best pool pump for the money.
With this buyer’s guide, that’s exactly what we’re here to help you with!
Below are some factors that every buyer should take into consideration before investing in a pool pump, especially if this is your first time purchasing one.
Pool Pump’s Voltage
Normally, the voltage of a pool pump is either 115 volts or 230 volts, but some pumps can run on either.
When purchasing a pump, first ensure that it is a compatible voltage for your pool’s wiring. If it is not, your pump’s motor will eventually burn out.
Pump timers are often overlooked but are still of great importance.
With the proper timer, you will be saving tons of energy and money while also reducing the wearing out of the motor through intervals rather than continuously running.
It is important to look for an engine that can produce the required rate of gallons per hour while also being powerful enough for the size of your pool or spa.
Along with a proper motor, there should be strong housing to protect it from dust, dirt, debris, etc.
To keep your electricity bill low while also using a reliable pump requires you to look for a pump that consumes less energy.
Specific pumps such as 2-speeds and variable speed pumps can save energy by adapting their rate to whatever the needed rate is.
While a single speed pump runs at the same horsepower every day and does not adapt to the pool size, a 2-speed can adapt and be changed to fit the needs of your specific pool.
Prior to pressing the ‘purchase’ button, it is important that you compare it to other products and read product reviews to ensure that you get the best product for your needs.
Listed below are product reviews of our top fourteen choices for the best pool pumps for the money.
We have also included potential pros and cons in order to give you a full picture of every product.
Give them a read before you finalize which one to buy!
Our #1 Recommendation for the Best Pool Pump for the Money
1. Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Pool Pump
- Energy savings up to 90-percent vs. traditional pumps
- Dramatically quieter operation; Carton Wt: 45 pounds
- 8 programmable speed settings and built-in timer assure optimum speed and run times for maximum efficiency and savings
- Built in diagnostics protect the pump for longer service life
- Fully compatible with IntelliTouch, EasyTouch, SunTouch Pool Control Systems and other brands of digital pool/spa controls for managing pump, heating, lighting, spa jets and water features
This amazing pool pump saves you energy for up to 90% (cost savings each year of around $1500) vs. the traditional pool pump that you have been using for years.
This makes it one of the best pool pumps you can find saving you both energy and money. Pentair 011018 has a longer motor life due to its built-in diagnostics so your investment in this machine won’t go to waste.
With eight programmable speed settings and a built-in timer, it allows you to set the speed according to your requirements thus ensuring there is no wasting of energy due to overpowering.
You can program your pump for filtering, heating, cleaning, running spa jets or waterfalls, or whatever else you are planning to do.
Moreover, the motor is extremely quiet and would not disrupt your day in any way.
- Very quiet
- Energy efficient
- High speed
- No online warranty
- Poor customer service
- No warranty if not installed by a professional
2. Hayward SP2610X15 Pool Pump
- The industry's workhorse - recognized for reliability and performance
- Exclusive swing-away hand knobs makes for easier strainer cover removal: no tools required, no loose parts and no clamps
- See through strainer cover lets you see when basket needs cleaning and eliminates guess work
- Features an oversized debris basket has extra leaf holding capacity for less frequent maintenance
- Easy installation and servicing with quick 4-bolt access to internal components
Whether your in-ground pool is big or small, this Super Pump can do it all!
With easy installation, you can save money on not having to hire a professional.
This pump also ensures that your electricity bill stays low by consuming less horsepower as well as producing higher flow rates.
You can also easily access all internal parts, thus making repair and maintenance hassle-free.
It has a huge basket for holding leaves with a transparent strainer cover so that you know when it’s full and needs to be cleaned.
The speed on this pump is customizable through the various voltage choices and horsepower so it can be adapted to your needs.
- Heat resistant seal
- Heavy-duty, high-performance motor
- The mounting base maintains its stability
- No warranty for online purchases and owner installation
- Reported leakages from the pump
3. Intex 28633EG Krystal Clear Pool Pump
- Easy to use - simply replace the old cartridge with a new one every two weeks
- Double insulated pump
- Air release valve for air trapped inside filter chamber
- Sediment flush falve at bottom of filter chamber. Minimum pool size (water capacity)- 4,000 gal (15.1m3). Maximum pool size (water capacity)- 15,200 gal (57.5m3)
- Works with 15-feet Easy Set, 15-feet Metal Frame, or 18-feet by 10-feet Oval Frame pools
This incredible pump is designed for above ground pools, and its efficiency makes it one of the best pool pumps in the market.
Its double-insulated pump allows for a flow rate of 2500 gallons per hour and a system flow rate of 1900 gallons per hour.
It also utilizes Hydro Aeration technology so your pool water will now be clearer, finer and fresher than ever.
With an easy swap or rinse of the cartridge, the easy and hassle-free maintenance is the cherry on top.
- Easy installation
- Auto timer with preset cycles
- Shut off valves are not included in the package
4. Pentair 340038 SuperFlo Pool Pump
- The Pentair SuperFlo single-speed, 1-horsepower pump moves more water more efficiently for lower operating cost
- Quiet operation due to superior internal flow design that reduces hydraulic noise
- Features thick walled body parts, a heavy-duty 56 square flange motor, and highly engineered hydraulics
- Oversized strainer basket extends time between cleanings; see-through lid makes inspection fast and easy
- This pump has self-priming for quick, easy start-up; 1-year warranty
This quiet yet effective pump has a long life due to its sustained durability.
It is most adequately designed for in-ground pools and has a 1-horsepower pump.
With this, the water moves efficiently and quickly in order to keep your pool clean and clear.
The attached basket is large and has a clear lid in order to increase visibility on contaminants and deposits while also reducing the frequency of cleaning.
With all of these features, SuperFlo qualifies as one of the best pool pumps on the market.
- Easy maintenance
- No noise
- 1-year warranty
- No warranty if self-installed
- Reported leakages and quality control issues
5. Blue Wave NE6151B Pool Pump
- Durable polymer construction that resists corrosion; Same quality as Hayward, Sta-Rite and Pentair
- Self-priming pump; Clear lid allows for easy cleaning
- Dual port design for either vertical or horizontal discharge; fits most filter systems
- 110 volt AC with 6-ft cord
- Not legal for sale in California
This pool pump is designed to be strong, corrosion-free, fitting for most filters, and built from polymer.
Through this, it will provide you with years of convenience due to its long life.
Along with that, the lid is large and clear making cleaning easier.
With its dual-port system, it can get rid of deposits both horizontally and vertically.
You can now get a crystal-clear pool with Blue Wave NE6151B.
- Extremely quiet
- Has outlets on both side and top
- No power switch
6. Intex Krystal Clear Pool Pump
- Easy to use - simply replace the old cartridge with a new one every two weeks, Double insulated pump
- The number on the actual item seen in the image is 637R, is the component part number that corresponds to the individual part for the system and this does not pertain to the model # 56637EG.
- Air release valve for air trapped inside filter chamber.we do not suggest operating the pump for more than 8 hours per day
- Sediment flush falve at bottom of filter chamber; Suitable for Intex pools up to 6,000 gal with 1.25in (32mm) diameter hose fitting
- Works with 15-feet Easy Set, 15-feet Metal Frame, or 18-feet by 10-feet Oval Frame pools. the hoses are 1-1/4 so if you need 1-1/2 you need an adapter.
This pump is simple, easy to use, and requires little maintenance.
You only need to clean or replace the filters every two weeks and it has a double insulated pump and sediment flush valves below the filters.
By using Hydro Aeration technology, your pool is guaranteed to be cleaner and fresher than ever before.
Along with that, this pump can efficiently work with a 15-foot Easy Set, a 15-foot Metal Frame, or an 18-foot by 10-foot Oval Frame pool.
- Easy installation
- Easy maintenance
- Cannot work for more than 8 hours a day
- Doesn’t last long
7. 2HP Inground Pool Pump
- Powerful Pool Pump heavy-duty, high-performance motor with air-flow ventilation for quieter, cooler operation
- Heavy-duty, high-performance motor with air-flow ventilation for quieter, cooler operation.
- An extra-large debris basket keeps pool maintenance to a minimum, letting you enjoy your pool more, while the clear cover lets you see exactly when the basket needs cleaning
- 2 inch union connections for both suction and discharge ports; 5280GPH Transfer Rate; 15A at 220V; 7.5A at 110V; Max Suction: 66'; Max Water Temperature: 104F,
- 2pc-Union Fitting Sold Separately (ASIN: B01FNEYVMU) / Intended for use with swimming pools, hot tubs, and spas; Pumps and replacement motors that are single speed and one (1) TOTAL HP or greater...
What makes this pump so great is its heavy-duty motor with air-flow ventilation that keeps it quiet yet powerful.
With a transparent cover and a large basket for debris, you can enjoy swimming for an extended period of time before needing to worry about cleaning the basket.
It has an enclosed impeller fan with wide openings to prevent clogging by leaves and debris.
This pump can be used for your swimming pools, hot tubs, and spas and will be equally efficient in each.
On top of all this, the motor is heat resistant and will last you a long time.
- Highly efficient motor saves energy
- Highly durable and quiet
- Cheaper than similar products
- Underpowered pump
8. Pentair 342001 SuperFlo Pool Pump
- Variable speed technology costs significantly less to operate.Savings based on variable speed pump compared to a single-speed pump running 12 hours per day at an average of $0.16 per kWh in a 20,000...
- Ideal for standard pools requiring up to 1.5 hp pump; 110-230v and 50 and 60 Hz capability
- Real-Time clock with 24-hour memory retention
- Simple, intuitive user interface is easy to program and operate; easy to access electrical connections for simple installation
- Three operating speed settings plus override capability
Pentair 342001 SuperFLo has three programmable speeds, an override capability, a real-time clock with 24-hour memory retention, a TEFC motor and much more.
It is the ideal pump for pools requiring up to a 1.5-HP pump, and its variable speed technology saves energy by adjusting speed according to the task to be performed.
It is easy to install, operate and will adapt to your power without needing to be rewired.
- Super quiet
- No warranty if bought online or not installed by a professional
- Can’t prime itself
9. Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pool Pump
- Keep your above ground pool water clean, soft, and refreshing with the Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump by Intex. The all-natural sand provides excellent water filtration as the 6-function control valve...
- The built in 24-hour timer adds to the hassle-free experience with maintaining a cleaner pool. The strainer basket provides easy-cleaning, and prolongs the life of the sand
- The Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump generates a pump flow rate of 3,000 gallons per hour, ideal for above ground pools 16' and above. This pump requires virtually no maintenance except replacement of...
- Pump Flow Rate: 3,000 gph (11.3 m3/hr). System Flow Rate: 2,450 gph (9.2 m3/hr)
- Includes: 6-way Valve. Pressure Gauge. Heavy Duty Tank. Strainer Basket. Built-in Timer
Get a fresher and cleaner pool with the Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter pump.
With its 6-function control valve, it allows you to filter, backwash and rinse, recirculate, drain and close the system.
It has a strainer basket which makes cleaning more manageable as well as a 24-hour timer that makes this pump convenient to use.
No maintenance is required with the exception of replacing the sand every five years.
It has a pump flow rate of 3,000 gallons per hour and is among the best value pool pumps you can find.
It takes care of your pool safety with its built-in ground fault circuit interrupter and a safety shut-off.
- Safe to use
- Ideal for heavy-duty work
- Poor customer service
10. Little Giant APCP-1700 Pool Pump
- Removable intake screen for easy cleaning and maintenance
- Built in handle for portability and ease of placement and removal
- 3/4" garden hose connection
- 25' power cord
- Integrated float switch for reliable automatic operation
Little Giant APCP-1700 can be the perfect pool pump for removing standing water from all types of pool covers.
It has a removable intake screen which makes it easy to maintain and clean and the deposits are discharged at the side for the most efficient removal of water.
You can protect your pool from the accumulation of rain or melting snow using this incredible pump.
- Three year’s manufacturer warranty
- Great customer service
- Needs coaxing to get it primed
- Bulky to move around
11. WAYNE Pool Pump with Automatic On & Off Switch
- iSwitch technology turns pump on and off by sensing the presence of water
- Plug in and leave the pump unattended for worry-free water removal
- Strainer base filters debris to minimize clogging and keep pump from tipping over
- Energy efficient, high flow, oil-free pump
- Automatic freeze protection within the iSwitch technology to prevent pump damage
With the incredible iSwitch technology, this unit automatically turns on when it senses the presence of water and automatically shuts down to prevent overheating and motor damage.
It has an exceptional protection circuit that helps to keep its motor from getting locked in an impeller condition.
This may be caused by either an accumulation of debris or an impeller that has been frozen from the formation of ice.
- Can be left unattended
- 3 year’s manufacturer warranty
- Doesn’t work continuously
- Design issue with low flow switch
12. Happybuy 2.5HP Swimming Pool Pump
You can get your pool perfectly cleared of leaves, hair strands, debris, and other impurities by using Happybuy Swimming Pool Pump.
The body of this pump is built with high quality and corrosion-free material that increases its life and performance.
It is highly efficient with an advanced S-Tek flow system and a constant flow rate of 560L/min.
The removable strainer basket makes cleaning and maintenance easier and hassle-free.
With its low noise and the combination of all of the features listed, it is among the best pool pumps for the money.
- Powerful yet quiet
- Built-in thermal protection
- Suitable for residential and commercial pools and spas
- The filter needs to be cleaned every day
13. Rx Clear Mighty Niagara Pool Pump
- CLEAR AND MIGHTY - This pool pump CANNOT BE SOLD IN/SHIPPED TO CALIFORNIA OR FLORIDA. Pool pumps, 1 HP or larger, that are sold in/shipped to California and Florida must be 2 speed or variable speed...
- SEE THROUGH SCREEN - The Rx Clear Mighty Niagara features a 2-piece strainer cover with clear port to that allows you to notice when the basket needs to be cleaned.This pump also includes a large...
- ULTRA COMPACT BODY - With a compressed body this pump provides quality performance, maximum efficiency and dependability with guaranteed results for all your pool and spa combination needs, all in an...
- GET CONNECTED - Rx Clear Mighty Niagara Single Speed Pump connects with 1 ½" plumbing connections. Electrical hook ups 115V or 5.7 / 11.5 Amp. Cord not included.
- WARNING - This pool pump cannot be sold in/shipped to California or Florida. Pool pumps, 1 HP or larger, that are sold in/shipped to California and Florida must be 2 speed or variable speed motors....
This self-priming and heavy-duty pump is mighty and powerful, as shown through its name.
Whether it’s raining, snowing, or sunny, this pump does its job.
It is tested to be leak-free and includes brass inserts that make it corrosion-proof. In turn, this extends its life and improves its performance.
You can easily monitor the debris level with its see-through screen and only clean the large basket whenever it’s full.
This unit includes hookups of 115V and a 6ft UL electrical cord.
If you want a pool so clean it glistens, Rx Clear Mighty Niagara can do the job without draining your bank account.
- Cheaper than similar products
- Corrosion proof
- No off/on the switch
- Poor customer service
- Reported to be noisy after a few uses
14. Hayward Above Ground Pool Pump Bundle
- Bundle of 2 Items - Hayward 1-1/2 HP Powerflo LX Above Ground Pool Pump With Replacement Lid O-Ring
- 1-1/2 HP High-performance pump with clear strainer cover designed for use with above ground pools
- Features durable, corrosion-proof engineering and quiet operation
- High-performance impeller and heat-resistant, drip-proof double-sized seal extend the motor lifespan
- Designed for use with 1.5 inch diameter pool plumbing and includes 6-foot, 120V power cord
This pump comes with a replacement Lid O-ring and has a clear strainer cover, making it ideal for above-ground pools.
It runs quietly with no complaint about noisy motors.
The durable and corrosion-free structure provides for an increase in overall life and efficiency and can be used with a 1.5-inch diameter pool plumbing.
Along with this, it will not break your bank so get yours now and enjoy its amazing features.
- Powerful yet quiet
- The flimsy joint between the filter and pump
- The motor heats after a few hours
We hope that the information we’ve provided for you with will help with your pool pump choice.
We want you to find the best poop pump for you, whether it be for your pool, spa, or hot tub.
Before you buy, always remember to check the product details and the factors listed in our buyer’s guide.
We hope that through reading our review of the top 14 pool pumps you’ll be able to find the best choice for you!